Lucknow is the State Capital of Uttar Pradesh, most populous state of India. Uttar Pradesh State Road Transport Corporation (UPSRTC) is the public bus operator in the state, with a fleet of 10,000 buses. UPSRTC also owns around 116 depots and 300 bus inter-city terminals (including 51 rented premises). In 2014, UPSRTC floated a tender to upgrade and redevelop inter-city bus terminal on public-private partnership (PPP) mode.
As part of its initiatives, UPSRTC inaugurated its first modernized inter-city bus terminal at Kaiserbagh, known as Kaiserbagh Bus Station. It is one of the busy station with over 500 departures and 15,000 footfalls. Bus services ply to various corners of the State and cater to services of different categories and passengers of all segments – Lohia, Ordinary, AC JanRath, and Luxury buses.
Old Kaiserbagh Bus Station New Kaiserbagh Bus Station
The power consumption of the bus station grew from 70 KW to around 170 KW due to Air-conditioning. A 40Kva solar panel has also been installed at the bus station to give it the `Green' tag. All lights were converted to LEDs and other devices to lower power consumption as per BEE Rating. Roof Top Solar Power plant installed with present capacity of 40 KW expandable to 100 KW through NEDA (New & Renewable Energy Development Agency).
Key facilities @ Kaiserbagh Bus Station
Some of the key facilities of Kaiserbagh Bus Station include:
- Upgraded Passenger Amenities – enquiry, counters, centrally Air Condition Waiting Lounge, food courts, drinking water, toilets, passenger information systems and CCTV survelliance
- Improved Aesthetics by Facelifting with earth Quake resistant construction, and created proper bus and passenger movement areas – passenger vehicles have separate entry / exit
- Private vehicle parking in Basement to allow passengers to park and ride
- Full access control for checking undesirable entry & security
- Designated Parking for arrival /Departure, and separate busways - Arrival / Departure Bay for Rapid clearance at platforms and traffic control
- Food courts on contracts with leading agencies like IRCTC
Access Control System (ACS) @ Kaiserbagh Bus Station
In order to restrict the entry of unauthorised person and visitors inside the bus station, UPSRTC is in discussion with IXXI (a subsidary of RATP, France) to install Access Control System (ACS). The gates are planned to be installed at entry after booking counters. The passengers can access through passenger ticket &/or platform tickets only, which will be connected with bus reservation system. Under the new system, tickets to have MagStrip and gates will have readers for automation. The proposed system is proposed to be installed on a 5 year BOOT contract. The investment will be recovered by sale of platform tickets shared in 80 : 20 ratio with investor.
UPSRTC is also developing Alambagh Metro Station as multi-modal transit hub on PPP model. The new bus station is build next to Lucknow metro station and will have facilities.