ISO (International Organisation of Standardisation) is an independent NGO which works as International standard setting body. It was founded on 23rd February, 1947 and its Headquarter is in Geneva, Switzerland. Safety plays a key role in the metro system network. It is important for the metro operators to go for design and implementation of ISO based management system. Some of key certifications of ISO system are:
- Quality management System (QMS) - ISO 9001:2008 is a set of policies, procedure required for planning and execution in core business area of an organisation.
- Environment Management System (EMS) - ISO 14001:2004 determines and continuously improves an organisations environmental position and performance.
- Occupation Health and Safety Assessment Series (OHSAS) - OHSAS 18001:2007 determines the safety and Health of workers during execution of work. It reduces accident and incidents happened at work site and increases employee satisfaction by following a framework of Plan Do Check Act (PDCA) cycle
- Energy management System (EnMS) - ISO 50001 determines and continually improves organisation’s energy usage and impacts.
Benefits of ISO based management system:
- Helps create awareness and compliance to applicable legal and other work related requirements
- Helps limit potential liability exposure by managing risks
- ISO helps in motivation and pride amongst employees
- Helps identify kink
- Possible to make improvements, if necessitated, due to periodic monitoring
- Also, there is economical benefit of ISO certification, ISO certificate increases cost of VER while selling
- ISO based system helps to maintain quality while ensuring environment protection and Health and Safety of workers
Most of metro operators in India are adopting ISO standards. For example, all Operational lines of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) are ISO 9001:2008 (QMS), ISO 14001:2004 (EMS) and OHSAS 18001:2007 certified and construction activities of DMRC Phase-lll are ISO 14001:2004 (EMS) and OHSAS 18001:2007 certified.
Similarly, Metro One Operation Pvt. Ltd, an O&M partner for Mumbai Metro network, has received OHSAS ISO 18001:2007 certification. The company has a safety management system in place which covers various important factors such as Risk Management, PTW processes, First Aid, Fire Detection and Fire Fighting systems. The focus of OHSAS is safety of the employees, passengers, contractor employees and visitors who access the Mumbai Metro system and infrastructure.
In order to implement OHSAS ISO18001:2007, the organisation required to setup internal team to drive the various aspects of safety like Behavioural Based Safety (BBS), Lock out Tag out (LOTO), Emergency Preparedness Plan (EPP), Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment (HIRA), Legal and Accountability. Internal Audit is the key activity of the certification process. Auditors visit workplaces and conduct audits to evaluate the compliances as per ISO 18001:2007 standard and legal requirements. All employees and contractor employees have to be aware about– Safety Policy, procedures, hazards related to their activities and the risk associated with those activities, mitigation actions to reduce the risk, consequences if they deviate from rules, practice & Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) related to activities.
Safety of individuals and co-workers should be every employees concern. Hence, before the start of work, every employee has to ensure that appropriate PPE and safety equipment related to work is in place, LOTO is applied before the activity (if applicable) and each person also needs to ensure that their co-worker is following the safety requirements. If employees observe any actual hazard or foresee a potential hazard, as a safety follower they need to report the hazard to the station, OCC or superior and register the act, situation and source of hazard details. This will help the organization analyze the hazards and risks associated with it and accordingly take the necessary mitigation actions to reduce the risk and make the workplace safe for all employees, third parties and passengers.
The International standard ISO18001:2007 certification is most important in organizations where safety is a critical factor of operation.