GOVERNMENT APPROVED 30 NEW SMART CITIES

Government of India (GoI) announced the 30 new cities under Smart Cities Mission, taking the total number of proposed smart cities to 90 cities. The government has announced to develop 100 smart cities in India. New Town Kolkata has backed out as the state government announced its own Grey Cities Mission. Also, Mumbai backed out from the smart cities mission. The government will select another 10 cities in the next round.

The government has planned to invest INR 1.91 trillion (US$ 30 billion) for the 89 cities under the mission. As per the proposed investment, 80% of the funds would be spent on area-based development (ABD) and remaining 20% of the funds on ICT Solutions.

Of the latest 30 cities, the key projects are:

  • 26 have proposed affordable housing projects
  • 26 cities will be taking up school and hospital projects
  • 29 cities will be taking up redesign and redevelopment of roads

The complete map of all 90 cities is given below. Leading states are Tamil Nadu, Maharasthra, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan. 

Smart Cities Map - India (July 2017)

 

For the remaining 10 slots, 20 cities will be contesting under smart city mission. These are:

Arunachal Pradesh – Itanagar

Bihar – Biharsharif

Daman & Diu – Diu

Dadra and Nager Haveli – Silvassa

Lakshadweep – Kavaratti

Maharashtra - Navimumbai, Greater Mumbai and Amaravati

Manipur – Imphal

Meghalaya – Shillong

Tamil Nadu - Dindigul and Erode

West Bengal - Bidhannagar, Durgapur and Haldia

Uttar Pradesh - Meerut, Rai Bareilly, Ghaziabad, Sharanpur and Rampur